- This is the perfect add on to your Peru adventure
- Explore the iconic Salt Flats of Bolivia
- Visit a train cemetery & see rusting trains against the epic Bolivian backdrop
- Enjoy a sunset picnic on the shores of the Salt Flats
- Party in the sky high city of La Paz, the highest capital in the world
- Practice your photography skills in this dramatic landscape
All travel junkies dream of going off the radar. Of discovering some far-flung location that is far from the eyes of tourists yet totally awesome at the same time. Peru’s Rainbow Mountain is one of these places. Hiking its colourful heights is nothing short of spectacular, it can render you breathless and dizzy at times, but all is forgotten when you reach its stripy summit bursting with colour and beauty. Hiking this secret mountain of the Andes is just one part of this epic group tour full of once-in-a-lifetime experiences. You’ll trek through the lush Amazonia jungle, discover the lost city of Machu Picchu and mountain bike through the highlands of the Sacred Valley. It’s not a trip for the fainthearted, but boy is it a trip for determined adventure-seekers who want the holiday of a lifetime.
>>We also run an alternative Peru adventure with a 15km trek to Machu Picchu instead of Rainbow Mountain – click here to find out more!<<
- Explore the rich culture of Peru’s capital in Lima
- Head into the jungle on a typical Amazonian boat before trekking through this epic habitat bursting with wildlife
- Cruise down the Madre de Dios River on a night time boat ride through the jungle
- Stroll the charming streets of Cuzco and admire the Inca heritage and artwork
- Hike the kaleidoscopic Rainbow mountain and sleep at a cosy base camp beneath the stars
- Discover a lost city at Machu Picchu, a true bucket list destination
- Mountain bike through the highlands of the Sacred Valley
- Enjoy tasty Latin American cuisine washed down with potent Pisco sours
Day 1: Pisco Sours all round!
Bienvenidos! Welcome to Peru. Your adventure begins with a transfer from the airport to the hotel, then it’s time to ditch the bags and get ready to explore Lima’s lively blend of cultures*. Meet your fellow Flashpackers and guide, before an evening of bar hopping in the vibrant Bohemian neighbourhood of Barranco, Pisco cocktails and all. So strap yourself in and prepare for an unforgettable Latin American adventure!
*Don’t worry if your flight arrives late, we’ll pick you up from the airport whatever the time is!
Day 2: Explore ancient Lima and its culinary delights
Today kicks off in Lima’s grand main square, the Plaza de Armas, where you’ll find the decadent Presidential Palace and the beautiful cathedral. The fun continues to the upmarket district of San Isidro where you can admire the Huaca Huallamarca, a pre-Incan pyramid which looks even more striking against the contrasting modern buildings. Then enjoy a wander through the swanky neighbourhood of Miraflores, and explore Parque del Amor (Love’s Park) with stunning views across the Pacific Ocean. Afterwards you’ll head to the fancy restaurant of Lima 27 where you’ll watch the chef demonstrate how to prepare Peru’s main dishes. It’s then time to show off your culinary prowess and cook a Peruvian dish yourself, before tucking into a typical Peruvian lunch. As the evening descends, the city changes gear and the nightlife kicks into action. There’s two bars worth checking out—an old, reputedly haunted, German lounge known for its live piano music, and a 1920s bar where you’ll find some pretty potent Pisco sours.
Day 3: Arrive in Amazonia
Your Amazonian adventure begins with a flight from Lima to Puerto Maldonado. After meeting your guide and getting your official waterway permits, you’ll step aboard a typical Amazonian boat and cruise along the Madre de Dios River to your jungle lodge. After freshening up, you’ll then trek through the Amazon with a steamy variety of tropical trees, medicinal plants and fluttering butterflies. Return to the lodge to relax in your exotic surroundings, before an exciting night time boat ride listening to the calling wildlife and gazing up at the starlit sky. A delicious dinner is then waiting for you back at the lodge, this is jungle life at its finest!
Day 4: Walk amongst the tree tops
Rise and shine to the buzzing sounds of the jungle, this morning we’re trekking through the Tambopata Reserve to Lake Sandoval. Here you’ll understand why the Madre de Dios is called the biodiversity capital of Peru, have your cameras and binoculars at the ready. After lunch back at the lodge, we’ll hop aboard a motorised canoe to the Inkaterra Canopy Walkway Interpretation Centre. Here we’ll ascend one of its 98 foot towers and walk amongst the treetops along 7 hanging bridges, surrounded by toucans, sloths and squirrel monkeys. This evening we’ll see what happens when the nocturnal animals come out to play. In the dark your senses become heightened to the amazing sounds of the rainforest, giving you an awesome insight into the different behavioural patterns of jungle life after dark. Then after an active day of exploring, it’s time for a relaxing meal with your fellow Flashpackers.
Day 5: Onwards and upwards
Today we’re leaving this jungle paradise and heading back to civilization, hello Wi-Fi and goodbye bugs. We’re boarding a flight to the mountain-surrounded city of Cuzco, feeling refreshed and at one with nature after exploring this beautiful corner of Peru.
Day 6: Dizzy heights and Inca heritage
Wake up in charming Cuzco, Peru’s oldest city and the heartland of Inca heritage. Be sure to take it easy as you acclimatise to the city’s dizzying 3450m-high (11,150 ft) altitude – it’s not for the faint hearted! After settling into your hotel, a fascinating walking tour will show off the city’s main highlights and lead you through a maze of Inca stonework and architecture. You’ll explore Koricancha Temple, the Main square and the Sacsayhuaman Fortress for a breathtaking view across the city. After visits to 3 stunning archeological sites, we recommend heading to one of the many great bars and restaurants in Cuzco.
Day 7: The holy heights of the Sacred Valley
This morning you’ll be picked up after breakfast for an unforgettable day of mountain biking in the highlands of the Sacred Valley. Upon reaching Chequerek, you’ll be kitted out with your bike and given a safety briefing about our cycling route. Once that’s all sorted you’re free to pedal off into the distance along a hilly track towards the Agricultural Site of Moray. After checking out this impressive amphitheatre, we’ll set off once more towards the town of Maras and enjoy a downhill ride to its terraced salt mines. Enjoy whizzing down this awesome scenery to Pichingoto where we’ll cross the gushing Urubamba River. Your private bus will be ready and waiting on the other side to take you to your hotel for the night, put your feet up and relax – your Rainbow Mountain trek begins tomorrow…
Day 8: Sleep beneath the stars at base camp
Today we’re heading to your Rainbow Mountain base camp, stopping along the way to enjoy local villages and communities. After a long drive, we’ll then continue to the village of Pitumarca, an important centre of native Andean textiles, where you can meet its friendly villagers in their colourful clothing. After lunch here, the adventure continues to Quesiuno where your mules and muleteers are ready and waiting with your camping gear. Against the backdrop of the stunning Peruvian mountains, approximately 6km of high altitude trekking now stands between you and your Rainbow Mountain base camp. Enjoy amazing views of snow-capped mountains and roaming alpacas, before settling down for dinner and a night beneath the stars.
Day 9: Chase the colours of Rainbow Mountain
After sleeping beneath a blanket of stars, wake up and breathe in that pure, mountain air. After a hearty breakfast, we’ll be ascending through the dark red mountains to Vinicunca Pass at 5,020m, (16,466 ft) where we’ll get our first glimpse of the incredible Rainbow Mountain of Peru. The Ausangate region boasts uniquely colourful landscape and once you reach the summit of Rainbow Mountain it’s like nothing you will have ever seen before. Due to the extremely high altitude here, this is an extremely challenging hike so please give us a call for more details. After lunch at a local campsite, we will begin the descent to Pucapause, stopping to admire more views along the way. This trek is certainly a challenge, but it’s perfect for anyone with a burning sense of adventure. After the trek we’ll then drive the long journey back to the Sacred Valley and check in to your hotel, where you can relax with a well earned drink!
Day 10: Aaaand relax
You climbed a mountain yesterday, we think you deserve a rest. This morning is yours to spend doing whatever you please in your picturesque Sacred Valley surroundings, before an afternoon train journey to Aguas Calientes. Here we’ll check into your hotel for a delicious dinner with your fellow Flashpackers, here’s to conquering mountains.
Day 11: Much to see at Machu Picchu
We recommend an early rise today, for both the awesome sunrise views and to make the most of all that the day holds. This begins at the small town of Aguas Calientes where we will begin our zigzag journey up to the Lost City of Machu Picchu. Up until 1911, this place was believed to be lost until explorer Hiram Bingham tracked it down and it became the world famous archaeological site laid out before you. Here we’ll spend some time trekking and exploring our way through this bucket list landscape. If you still have your trusty hiking boots on, there’s a great 3 hour round trek to Machu Picchu mountain. We’ll then descend back down to Aguas Calientes and hop on the train back to Cuzco. For Cuzco round two we’ll hit the town and drink up farewell Pisco Sours, it’s a pretty full on day but that’s what happens when you’re making unforgettable memories!
Day 12: Time to say adiós
After conquering colourful mountains, ancient cities and lush jungles, your Peruvian adventure has come to an end. Depending on what time your flight is, you can explore this historic city further before making your own way to the airport for your flight back home. Once you’re back in the capital, it’s time to soar into the skies and return to reality with your bucket list a little lighter than before. Or, for those of you who simply can’t bear to leave, we recommend spending an extra night or two in charming Cuzco. You’ve certainly earned some chill time after this epic adventure…
Fly into: Jorge Chávez International Airport, Lima
Fly out of: Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, Cuzco
Trekking Rainbow Mountain is a difficult trek due to the high altitude, anyone who books on this adventure must speak to us so that they know what they are signing themselves up for.
At certain times of the year Rainbow mountain is not accessible as it is too cold, so during these months we run a slightly different itinerary which can be seen by clicking on the link at the top of the page. For these adventures, we will take the 15km trek up to the Sun gate at Machu Picchu and it is also a day shorter. If you have any questions about this or would like the Flash Pack team to send you some more details of the itinerary please just say.
For all Peru trips the adventure starts in Lima and ends in Cuzco. Try and get flights that arrive before 4:30pm, however, we will pick you up no matter what time you arrive. For your flight home you can leave anytime from Cuzco on the last day. As it is such an active adventure we do recommend spending an extra night in the charming city of Cuzco if you have time.
Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. From time to time we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh.
We take safety very seriously on Flash Pack adventures, click here to learn more.
More adventure trips
- Kayak around the mangroves of Tortuguero National Park
- See beautiful wildlife in its natural habitat
- Hike through the rainforest and lava formations of Arenal volcano
- Go water-tubing down canyons and rapids in Rio Celeste
- Explore some of the country’s most specular and laid-back beaches
- Explore the coast by boat and snorkel in the Pacific
- Trek through the Torres del Paine National Park in Patagonia
- Explore the Valle de la Luna in the driest desert in the world
- Taste Chile's premium red wines in a boutique vineyard
- Raft grade II and IV rapids on Petrohue River
- Witness the 40m jets of the exploding Tatio geysers
- Trek through waterfalls, volcanoes and rainforest in the Chilean Lake District
- Follow in the footsteps of Escobar on an exciting Medellín tour
- Taste your way through one of Colombia’s amazing coffee farms
- Trek through the rainforest and enjoy its cacophony of calling birds and wildlife
- Stay beside paradise beaches in a boutique beach hotel
- Salsa in vibrant Cartagena and watch the sunset at a rooftop pool party
- Sit back on your private speed boat and cruise around the idyllic Rosario Islands
- Visit the iconic Christ the Redeemer
- Play volleyball on Copacobana and relax on Rio’s lively beach front
- Stay 3 nights in the colourful coastal town of Paraty
- Go island hopping on your own private boat, equipped with paddle boards & snorkelling gear
- Have a sizzling samba class in Lapa and party on into the night
- Watch a golden sunset from the Sugarloaf
- Climb Table Mountain and abseil part of the way down
- Paddle board alongside the penguins of Cape Town
- Swim with seals in Plettenberg Bay and go whale watching in Hermanus
- Stay in a luxury lodge and go on incredible safaris & bush walks
- Enjoy a surfing lesson on the waves of Kynsna Lagoon
- Go vineyard hopping and wine tasting in Stellenbosch