- Conquer the colourful summit of Rainbow Mountain, and camp overnight at altitude
- Join a night-time boat ride through the Amazon, and walk the jungle canopy on hanging bridges
- Mountain bike through the Sacred Valley highlands, passing Inca ruins
- Learn how to make Pisco Sours, and cook authentic Peruvian dishes
- Dine in Lima 27, one of the capital's most celebrated restaurants
- Trek to Machu Picchu, and gaze upon the ancient Inca citadel
We don’t need to sell Peru as a travel destination. Its spectacular sights and bucket list reputation speaks for itself. We’d probably mention the dazzling landscape of the Sacred Valley or the lush beauty of the Amazonian jungle, maybe even the mouth-watering cuisine or the charming warmth of local people. But all you need to know is that this epic adventure covers this diverse country in 11 days of pure Peruvian escapism. Be it hiking 15km through amazing Inca scenery, mountain biking past ancient ruins or discovering the lost city of Machu Picchu, prepare for a thrilling adventure of once in a lifetime experiences. Alpaca selfies and pisco sours all round.
> For an alternative Peruvian adventure from May – November click here <<
- Go on a 15km trek through breathtaking Inca scenery
- Explore the rich culture of Peru’s capital in Lima
- Head into the jungle on a typical Amazonian boat before trekking through this epic habitat bursting with wildlife
- Cruise down the Madre de Dios River on a night time boat ride through the jungle
- Stroll the charming streets of Cuzco and admire the Inca heritage and artwork
- Discover a lost city at Machu Picchu, a true bucket list destination
- Mountain bike through the highlands of the Sacred Valley
- Enjoy tasty Latin American cuisine washed down with potent Pisco sours
Day 1: Touch down in lively Lima
Bienvenidos! Welcome to Peru. Arrive by 3pm where your adventure begins with a transfer from the airport to the hotel, then it’s time to ditch the bags and get ready to explore Lima’s lively blend of cultures*. Meet your fellow Flashpackers and guide, before an evening of bar hopping in the vibrant Bohemian neighbourhood of Barranco, Pisco cocktails and all. So strap yourself in and prepare for an unforgettable Latin American adventure! Want to get a flavour of Peru? Join us at our Peruvian Supper Club.
*Don’t worry if your flight arrives late, we’ll pick you up from the airport whatever the time is!
Day 2: Palaces, parks & potent pisco
Today kicks off in Lima’s grand main square, the Plaza de Armas, where you’ll find the decadent Presidential Palace and the beautiful cathedral. The fun continues to the upmarket district of San Isidro where you can admire the Huaca Huallamarca, a pre-Incan pyramid which looks even more striking against the contrasting modern buildings. Then enjoy a wander through the swanky neighbourhood of Miraflores, and explore Parque del Amor (Love’s Park) with stunning views across the Pacific Ocean. Afterwards you’ll head to the fancy restaurant of Lima 27 where you’ll watch the chef demonstrate how to prepare Peru’s main dishes. It’s then time to show off your culinary prowess and cook a Peruvian dish yourself, before tucking into a typical Peruvian lunch. As the evening descends, the city changes gear and the nightlife kicks into action. There’s two bars worth checking out—an old, reputedly haunted, German lounge known for its live piano music, and a 1920s bar where you’ll find some pretty potent Pisco sours.
Day 3: Onwards to Amazonia
Your Amazonian adventure begins with a flight from Lima to Puerto Maldonado. After meeting your guide and getting your official waterway permits, you’ll step aboard a typical Amazonian boat and cruise along the Madre de Dios River to your jungle lodge. After freshening up, you’ll then trek through the Amazon with a steamy variety of tropical trees, medicinal plants and fluttering butterflies. Return to the lodge to relax in your exotic surroundings, before an exciting night time boat ride listening to the calling wildlife and gazing up at the starlit sky. A delicious dinner is then waiting for you back at the lodge, this is jungle life at its finest!
Day 4: Life in the jungle
Rise and shine to the buzzing sounds of the jungle, this morning we’re trekking through the Tambopata Reserve to Lake Sandoval. Here you’ll understand why the Madre de Dios is called the biodiversity capital of Peru, have your cameras and binoculars at the ready. After lunch back at the lodge, we’ll hop aboard a motorised canoe to the Inkaterra Canopy Walkway Interpretation Centre. Here we’ll ascend one of its 98 foot towers and walk amongst the treetops along 7 hanging bridges, surrounded by toucans, sloths and squirrel monkeys. This evening we’ll see what happens when the nocturnal animals come out to play. In the dark your senses become heightened to the amazing sounds of the rainforest, giving you an awesome insight into the different behavioural patterns of jungle life after dark. Then after an active day of exploring, it’s time for a relaxing meal with your fellow Flashpackers.
Day 5: Hit the skies to Cuzco
Today we’re leaving this jungle paradise and heading back to civilization, hello Wi-Fi and goodbye bugs. We’re boarding a flight to the mountain-surrounded city of Cuzco, feeling refreshed and at one with nature after exploring this beautiful corner of Peru. Here you can explore this historic city, the former Incan capital that is positively brimming with interesting history and culture. Spend some time strolling along the cobbled streets, discovering striking photo opportunities around every corner and a host of excellent restaurants (head to Marcelo Batata for traditional Andean dishes with a twist).
Day 6: Epic Heights, History & Hot Chocolate
Wake up in charming Cuzco, Peru’s oldest city and the heartland of Inca heritage. Be sure to take it easy as you acclimatise to the city’s dizzying 3450m-high (11,150 ft) altitude – it’s not for the faint hearted! After settling into your hotel, a fascinating walking tour will show off the city’s main highlights and lead you through a maze of Inca stonework and architecture. You’ll explore Koricancha Temple, the Main square and the Sacsayhuaman Fortress for a breathtaking view across the city. After visits to 3 stunning archeological sites, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and embrace Peru’s reputation as one of the finest cacao producers in the world. Anyone with a sweet tooth is in for a treat (literally) with a chocolate making class where we’ll be learning and tasting the entire process from bean to bar. You’ll be roasting, peeling and grinding the cacao beans into a paste that forms a traditional hot chocolate in all its indulgent goodness. Leave here with plenty of chocolate to take home, then hit up some of the many great bars and restaurants in Cuzco.
Day 7: Mountain biking in the Sacred Valley
This morning you’ll be picked up after breakfast for an unforgettable day of mountain biking in the highlands of the Sacred Valley. Upon reaching Chequerek, you’ll be kitted out with your bike and given a safety briefing about our cycling route. Once that’s all sorted you’re free to pedal off into the distance along a hilly track towards the Agricultural Site of Moray. After checking out this impressive amphitheatre, we’ll set off once more towards the town of Maras and enjoy a downhill ride to its terraced salt mines. Enjoy whizzing down this awesome scenery to Pichingoto where we’ll cross the gushing Urubamba River. Your private bus will be ready and waiting on the other side to take you to your hotel for the night, put your feet up and relax.
Day 8: Relax in your sacred surroundings
After a day of pedal power yesterday, today you deserve a rest. Today is yours to spend doing whatever you please in your picturesque Sacred Valley surroundings, there’s loads of amazing things to do in this epic location. From vibrant street markets to craft beer breweries, indulge yourself with some local delicacies or kick back and relax at a local spa. There’s also plenty of great local hikes on your doorstep though remember to take it easy as there’s a bright and early start tomorrow for your trek to the Sun Gate…More +
Day 9: Trekking the Inca heartland
Day 10: How Machu wanna climb this Picchu?
We recommend an early rise today, for both the awesome sunrise views and to make the most of all that the day holds. This begins at the small town of Aguas Calientes where we will begin our zigzag journey up to the Lost City of Machu Picchu. Up until 1911, this place was believed to be lost until explorer Hiram Bingham tracked it down and it became the world famous archaeological site laid out before you. Here we’ll spend some time trekking and exploring our way through this bucket list landscape. We’ll then descend back down to Aguas Calientes, have some lunch and hop on the train back to Cuzco. For Cuzco round two we’ll hit the town and drink up farewell Pisco Sours in the quirky bar of Republica Del Pisco, complete with live music and 90s tunes. It’s a pretty full on day but that’s what happens when you’re making unforgettable memories!
Day 11: Alpaca your bags
After discovering ancient cities, lush rainforest and dizzying scenery, your Peruvian adventure has come to an end. Depending on what time your flight is, you can explore this historic city further before making your own way to the airport for your flight to Lima. Once you’re back in the capital, it’s time to soar into the skies and return to reality with your bucket list a little lighter than before. Or, for those of you who simply can’t bear to leave, we recommend spending an extra night or two in Cuzco. There’s loads to do in this culture-packed city to stretch your adventure that bit further…More +
Fly into: Jorge Chávez International Airport, Lima
Fly out of: Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, Cuzco
For this trip you will need to fly into Lima on day 1 of the trip. We will pick you up no matter what time you arrive on this day but do try and get into Lima before 4pm if you can. The trip ends in Cuzco so you will need to fly home from here.
WE DO NOT CLIMB RAINBOW MOUNTAIN on this adventure. However, we still do a tough 15km trek up to the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu.
Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. From time to time we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh.
We take safety very seriously on Flash Pack adventures, click here to learn more.
- Early Bird
- Early Bird
- Early Bird
- Early Bird
- Early Bird
More adventure trips
- Cruise the iconic Uyuni Salt Flats on a 4x4 safari
- Savour a sunset picnic on the shores of the shimmering plains
- Discover the bustling open-air markets and bars of La Paz, the world's highest capital city
- Star-gaze and wallow in hot tubs at a unique hotel made from salt blocks
- Feast on highlands street food and traditional Andean cuisine
- This is a great bonus escape to add onto your Peru adventure
- Sail through the mighty glaciers of Patagonia on a day-long boat ride
- Tackle the Base Las Torres hike and trek through the Chilean Lake District
- Ride the rapids of Petrohue River, and leap into the warm volcanic waters
- Taste wine from the barrel at a family-run vineyard, and star-gaze over sundowners in Valle de la Luna
- See the Tatio geysers erupt at sunrise and unwind in nearby hot springs
- Stay at a series of beautiful hotels, including a boutique desert retreat with a large pool and fire pits
- Cruise around the Rosario Islands by private boat, and trek through the rainforest of Tayrona National Park
- Taste different rums and learn to salsa in the colourful city of Cartagena
- Party in one of Bogotá's leading nightspots, and master a game of gunpowder and beer
- Tube down the Palomina River, floating past a vast region of tropical wilderness
- Climb the iconic Piedra del Peñol and kayak across the Guatapé reservoir
- Stay at a series of boutique hotels, with rooftop pools, spas and beach bars
- Go island-hopping through the hidden beaches of Paraty on a private boat
- Learn how to make caipirinhas in a rooftop lesson at sunset
- Join a samba class and flex your skills in one of Rio's most iconic nightclubs
- Stay at an oasis retreat with a tropical pool and garden bar, and a chic hotel overlooking Ipanema beach
- Visit the Christ the Redeemer statue and sip sundowners on the Sugarloaf
- Soak in Brazilian beach life on Copacobana beach
- Kayak around the mangroves and waterways of Tortuguero National Park
- Water-tube down the canyons and rapids of the turquoise Rio Celeste
- Stay in unique boutique hotels, from a beachfront haven to a remote jungle lodge
- Hike through the rainforest and lava formations of Arenal volcano
- Jump aboard a boat to beach-hop and snorkel around the stunning Pacific
- See beautiful wildlife in its natural habitat, from monkeys to exotic birds