- Soak in the sights of the vibrant Marrakech
- Hike the stunning heights of the Atlas Mountains
- Glamp in amazing tents at a luxury desert glamping site
- Saddle up for a sunset camel ride across Agafay Desert
- Follow in the footsteps of Game of Thrones with a visit to Essaouira
- Enjoy surfing lessons and beach yoga at the surfer's paradise of Taghazout
Touch down in this parched terracotta landscape and prepared to embrace your inner Indiana Jones. Here the earth glows fiery red from the sun, sandstone cliffs are carved into wonders of the world and mint tea never stops flowing. This week long whirlwind is full of bucket list experiences, from floating in the Dead Sea to admiring the Lost City of Petra in all its ancient splendour. We’re getting beneath the sun-baked skin of this beautiful county, with candlelit voyages to the iconic Treasury, canyoning expeditions through Wadi Mujib and glamping in the lunar-like beauty of the Wadi Rum desert. Prepare to saddle up on camels and to chase across reddened dunes in off-road jeeps, to gaze up at a thick blanket of stars and to explore the lively capital. You’d be forgiven for thinking you’ve stumbled across the set of a Hollywood blockbuster, yet this is Jordan and there’s no CGI necessary.
- Visit the Ancient City of Petra and take in one of the new Seven Wonders of the World
- Admire Petra by night, surrounded by 1500 glowing candles
- Float in the buoyant Dead Sea
- Go canyoning through the incredible Wadi Mujib
- Explore the magical Wadi Rum desert by both camels and jeep
- Hike through the amazing scenery of the Dana Nature Park
- Spend a night off-grid hotel in an award winning ecolodge
- Watch the magical sunset over the Dead Sea
- Explore the hustle and bustle of Jordan’s capital, Amman
- Glamp beneath the stars of the Wadi Rum desert
Day 1: Jet Set to Jordan
Step off the plane in Amman and prepare for an exotic eight day adventure. You’ll be met at the airport by your English speaking driver who’ll whisk you to your hotel. Today you can enjoy the chaotic labyrinth of it’s downtown where you will find a lively hub of ornate mosques, delicious mezze cuisine and earthy Roman ruins, welcome to the Middle East! Most flights get in late so we’ll hold off with the exploration, the real adventure starts tomorrow.More +
Day 2: Kickass Canyoning and Swimming in the Dead Sea
Enjoy that awesome feeling of waking up in a new country and prepare for a day of exploring. First up we’re heading to the ancient citadel of Amman before leaving the capital behind for the breathtaking canyons of Wadi Mujib. Here you’ll be hiking, climbing and sliding through its towering sandstone canyons and hidden gorges. This beautiful setting will then get even more spectacular upon reaching a large waterfall plunging into the parched surroundings. Depending on the amount of rainfall, here you can dive into the cool waters and enjoy its natural obstacles, waterslides and plunge pools. The adventure then continues to the Mujib Biosphere Reserve, where you’ll be staying in peaceful chalets with uninterrupted views of the iconic Dead Sea. This striking landscape is an Instagram lover’s dream, yet we’re not merely snapping the scene but getting in it. This evening we’ll be swimming, or rather floating, in the buoyant Dead Sea. This shimmering sea is slowly disappearing so now is the time to go and trust us, lying back in the lowest point on Earth is a truly unforgettable experience (albeit a bit salty).
Day 3: Hike through Jordan’s Largest Nature Reserve
Wake up in your peaceful surroundings and enjoy breakfast with killer views of the Dead Sea. Today we’re heading to Jordan’s largest nature reserve, Dana Nature Park, which is 320 square kilometres of stunning mountains and vast wadis. Such awesome scenery deserves a good ol’ trek, so you’ll set off on a 14km hike through this beautiful reserve. Keep your eyes peeled for the rare forms of flora and fauna as you descend through four different bio-geological zones. Then, after plenty of mint tea pitstops, you’ll arrive in Feynan where your jeeps await. Tonight we’re going off grid and staying in unique ecolodges powered by the sun. Expect glowing lanterns, hearty home cooked food and star lit skies.More +
Day 4: Cooking classes and Candlelit Petra
This morning there is a whole host of activities arranged for you by the eco lodge, your guides here will talk you through the options the evening before for you to take your fancy of what to join in with. Activities include going off road with a spot of mountain biking, learning the ways of the Bedouin or an authentic cooking class whipping up a 3 course veggie lunch (or just chill in the sun with a book – no judgements here). Afterwards, we’re heading to the Ancient City of Petra for a truly magical experience, one involving 1500 candles and one spectacular tomb. The Treasury, as seen in Indiana Jones, is illuminated by candlelight casting dancing shadows across its beautifully carved facade. Live Bedoin music will create a hushed and peaceful environment as you walk 2km though the narrowly winding Siq to reach this stunning spectacle, have your cameras at the ready!More +
Day 5: The Secret Backdoor to Petra
If there was a headline act for your adventure, today would be it. A full day exploring Petra, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, lies ahead. After breakfast, your guide will take you to the ‘back door’ of Petra, where you will be able to see the city from the reverse direction to most other visitors. Here you’ll climb up the steps and hike the secret route to the Monastery, one of Petra’s incredible facades chiselled out of the dusty-pink cliffs. Enjoy a picnic here before taking the Monastery steps back down to the Colonnaded Street, Theatre, Street of Facades and finally the spectacular Treasury (in shining daylight this time). We’ll then return to the hotel to freshen up and relax after a leg-pumping day of walking nearly 20km, we recommend a Turkish Bath to soothe those muscles. This evening you’re going to experience local Bedouin cuisine at its finest with a freshly prepared dinner in the twinkling lights of Little Petra, such delicious food deserves a fitting setting.More +
Day 6: Arrive on Mars (aka the Wadi Rum Desert)
From Indiana Jones to Lawrence of Arabia, today we’re heading to the striking red desert of Wadi Rum. Gaze out at this otherworldly landscape of jagged mountains and horizon stretching sand before jumping aboard your desert jeeps. We’ll cruise across the open sand in these 4x4s, admiring the Seven Pillars of Wisdom and beautiful naturally formed bridges. Here you can climb up to amazing viewpoints and, unless you’re a budding astronaut, this is the closest you will come to visiting Mars. Then after the thrill of all this off-roading, we’ll find a high viewpoint to watch a breathtaking sunset. The changing colours here will gradually become a thick blanket of stars, perfect for a night of glamping beneath them.More +
Day 7: Sunrise in the Desert & Sunset in the Capital
As the rising sun casts a serene pink hue across the vast landscape, even the grumpiest of morning people will become eager early risers this morning. Let’s just say a desert sunrise is worth getting up for, particularly when you’re admiring it on the back of a camel and setting off into the glowing landscape. After breakfast at your luxury camp, we’ll be heading back along the desert highway for approximately 4-5 hours to Amman. Here you can spend your time sightseeing and shopping your way through this underrated city. This evening is your final meal in Jordan (boo) so enjoy a farewell dinner at a great rooftop restaurant. Then it’s time to hit up some of Amman’s popular rooftop bars, it’s your last night in this awesome country so get those drinks in and enjoy!More +
Day 8: What a whirlwind week it’s been!
The time has come for your Jordan adventure to come to an end. But before you reach for the tissues, think of all the awesome new friends/memories/photos you’re returning home with. Together with your Flashpacking pals, you’ve explored the capital, gone canyoning through Wadi Mujib, floated in the Dead Sea, hiked through the Dana Nature Park, gone off grid in an ecolodge, seen the beautiful Petra by night, seen the beautiful Petra by day, camel ridden through the Wadi Rum Desert, glamped beneath the stars and seen both a desert sunset AND sunrise. So head to the airport safe in the knowledge of how amazing it’s been, or grab a camel and head for the hills- your call.More +
Fly into and out of Amman International Airport (Queen Alia International Airport)
Flights into Jordan can arrive at rather unsociable hours, so don’t worry if your flight arrives at around midnight on day 1 as you’re likely not be the only one and this is why we have no plans for day 1 of the adventure.
Hotels in Jordan are not quite as flash as we would hope so this adventure sees you stay in a variety of comfortable city hotels and characterful properties with amazing views.
Canyoning in Wadi Mujib is a seasonal activity which is only open from 1st April to 31st October. For tours that miss out on this awesome adventure we have another plan which includes seeing Mount Nebo and the ridiculously warm waterfall at Ma’in Hot Spring, for more information please give us a call.
Temperatures can get quite low during the winter, especially in the mountains or in the desert at night so do remember to pack a jumper!
Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. From time to time we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh.
We take safety very seriously on Flash Pack adventures, click here to learn more.
More adventure trips
- Climb Table Mountain and abseil part of the way down
- Paddle board alongside the penguins of Cape Town
- Swim with seals in Plettenberg Bay and go whale watching in Hermanus
- Stay in a luxury lodge and go on incredible safaris & bush walks
- Enjoy a surfing lesson on the waves of Kynsna Lagoon
- Go vineyard hopping and wine tasting in Stellenbosch
- Explore Zagreb and enjoy local beer tasting
- Kayak the waterfalls of the Mreznica River
- Hike the Plitvice lakes with an expert guide & stay in a nearby boutique hotel
- Visit a mini cheese factory and sample its finest selection
- Catch a catamaran to Hvar Island and relax by the beach
- Your Pack Leader will show you the best bars & restaurants
- Learn to ride an iconic Vespa on the open Spanish roads
- Zoom through rural countryside & medieval towns
- There's delicious local cuisine & wine included
- Escape the tourists and discover authentic rural life
- Admire the epic scenery of the Duratón Canyon Nature Reserve
- Stay in charming, family-run posadas throughout
- Follow in the footsteps of Escobar on an exciting Medellín tour
- Taste your way through one of Colombia’s amazing coffee farms
- Trek through the rainforest and enjoy its cacophony of calling birds and wildlife
- Stay beside paradise beaches in a boutique beach hotel
- Salsa in vibrant Cartagena and watch the sunset at a rooftop pool party
- Sit back on your private speed boat and cruise around the idyllic Rosario Islands
- Trek through the Torres del Paine National Park in Patagonia
- Explore the Valle de la Luna in the driest desert in the world
- Taste Chile's premium red wines in a boutique vineyard
- Raft grade II and IV rapids on Petrohue River
- Witness the 40m jets of the exploding Tatio geysers
- Trek through waterfalls, volcanoes and rainforest in the Chilean Lake District