- Take a first-class sleeper train to Sapa, and trek through the hills and valleys of this spectacular region
- Sleep aboard a traditional junk boat in Halong Bay, followed by sunrise yoga
- Kayak around the dramatic limestone karsts and caves of Halong Bay
- Learn the secrets of Vietnamese cuisine in a Hoi An cooking class, and dine on a 5-course feast
- Marvel at Angkor Wat's temples in the magical glow of sunrise and sunset
- Stay in beautiful hotels, including the luxurious Shinta Mani resort
Savour the flavours of Vietnam on a backstreet food safari in Hanoi, and kayak around the emerald waters of Halong Bay. Sleep aboard a traditional junk boat, sing karaoke into the early hours and rise for sunrise yoga on deck. Explore the beautiful town of Hoi An and cycle into the rolling countryside beyond. Cook up a feast at a Vietnamese cooking class and embrace the dynamic craft beer scene in Ho Chi Minh, as well as hopping on-board for a thrilling Vespa safari around the city. Share the ride with like-minded solo travellers and stay in stylish boutique hotels along the way.
Let’s set the scene. You’re at a rooftop bar in Ho Chi Minh City, the sun is slowly setting behind the blazing skyline and you’re drinking signature cocktails in one of the coolest spots in town. It’s the last night of your adventure in Vietnam and surrounding you is a crowd of like-minded travellers who you’ve spent the last week getting to know on a whirlwind of new experiences. As you sip sundowners you laugh at the time it took you 10 minutes just to cross the road in the mayhem of Hanoi, when you sang karaoke into the early hours on a traditional junk boat on Halong Bay and tried to detox your system the next morning with some sunrise yoga. You think back on all the amazing food you’ve eaten and wonder what exactly it was that made those secret family recipes so delicious. You reminisce about the islands you kayaked around, the lantern-lined streets you strolled along and the rice paddies you cycled through, all whilst staying in boutique hotels along the way. Ready to make some memories? Stop imagining and join our 8 day adventure in this dazzling country, there’s a rooftop beer with your name on it.
- Go on a flavour safari through the bustling markets and local hangouts in Hanoi
- Stay the night on a traditional junk boat on Halong Bay, with a private crew at your service
- Kayak through the limestone caves and islands surrounding Halong Bay, before a night of karaoke aboard your junk boat
- Explore the stunning streets of Hoi An, then cycle into the surrounding rice paddies and islands for a glimpse of rural life
- Master the art of Vietnamese cuisine with an authentic cooking class, including two courses made from secret family recipes
- Head underground in the Cu Chi tunnels and learn of the amazing tenacity of Vietnamese soldiers
- Hop on-board for a backseat Vespa safari around Ho Chi Minh City and embrace its old-meets-new charm
- Settle in for rooftop cocktails and craft beer at Ho Chi Minh's finest night spots
Day 1: BACK STREET FOOD & BEER CORNER
Arrive in Hanoi and dive right into this vibrant city on a flavour-packed foodie tour through its sizzling markets and back streets. Then hit up the lively ‘Beer Corner’ and get to know your fellow Flashpackers over a pint or two…
With your out of office on and cares left behind, step off the plane and get ready to embrace the vibrant mayhem of Hanoi. Weave between the endless scooters and blaring horns of the capital as your airport transfer whizzes you to your hotel. Here you’ll find a boutique oasis in the heart of the city, where you can freshen up and relax before an evening of culinary adventure. After a 4pm welcome meeting with your Pack Leader in the hotel lobby, we’ll set forth on a flavour-packed street food tour kicking off in one of the city’s largest markets. In the hustle and bustle of Dong Xuan, you’ll sample street-side delights that will get your taste buds singing. From the best spring rolls in town to mouth-watering bun cha cooked over charcoal fires, get set to dine like a local as you eat your way through the sizzling stalls. From here, we’ll go off the beaten path and stroll through hidden alleyways to discover local foodie hangouts away from the tourists. We’ll then mooch through the colourful markets of Hanoi’s charming old quarter, all whilst eating delicious French-Chinese infused dishes and immersing yourself in the dynamic food scene of Hanoi. Stomachs lined and flavour-combos noted, we’ll then hit up the famous beer corner of ‘Bia Hoi’. Here you can knock back beers and bond with your fellow Flashpackers, here’s to a new adventure ahead…More +
Day 2: SET SAIL ON HALONG BAY
Swap the capital for the emerald waters of Halong Bay, kayaking around its limestone islands and staying the night on a traditional junk boat. Enjoy dinner onboard then spend the evening squid fishing and singing karaoke into the early hours.
Bid farewell to the bright lights of the capital, today we’re heading to the emerald waters of Halong Bay. After an early start, we’ll arrive at this World Heritage Site by around noon where you’ll step aboard a traditional junk boat. Here you’ll set sail on your boat and tuck into a delicious lunch on deck, enjoying dazzling views of over 2000 jagged islets dotted across the shimmering waters. After a lazy lunch, we’ll then get kitted out of for some kayaking around the bay. Feel at one with the landscape as you paddle through limestone caves and past floating fishing villages, all whilst taking in the breathtaking panorama of this unique location. Cold drinks are ready and waiting back on deck, where you can spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing and taking in the view. There’s also an optional Vietnamese cooking class on board for those of you wanting to brush up on your culinary skills. Then, as the sun begins to set, dinner is served up by your own personal chef. Come evening, take in those blazing sunset views with sundowners and a spot of squid fishing (season dependent). Then as darkness falls, make the most of your private location and sing your hearts out with a night of karaoke and dancing under the stars.More +
Day 3: SUNRISE YOGA & CONQUERING CAVES
Rise and shine in your junk boat for sunrise yoga on deck. Then head underground in the epic Thien Canh Son Cave before flying onwards and upwards to Hoi An.
Wake up to the sound of lapping waves and enjoy a leisurely start to the day, perfect for sleeping off any sore heads after last night’s karaoke antics. Spend the relaxing and doing yoga on deck, before a hearty breakfast looking out to views across the bay. We’re then heading to Thien Canh Son Cave, one of the lesser known caves in Bai Tu Long Bay where glittering stalactites hang from the ceiling and natural statues are carved into the rugged walls. Emerging out of this amazing underground world, we’ll then hit the road for four hours back to Hanoi. From here we’ll soar into the skies on a flight to Danang, where you’ll be transferred to Hoi An. Take in views of lantern lined streets and timeless architecture in this historic town, before checking into your boutique home for the next three nights.More +
Day 4: CYCLE BACK IN TIME IN HOI AN
Explore the amazing architecture and history of Hoi An, discovering local temples and scenic bridges along the way. This afternoon, hop on bikes and cycle into the rolling countryside and rice paddies beyond.
Rise and shine in the charming town of Hoi An, ready to explore the twists and turns of this former trading port. With Chinese, Dutch, French, Japanese, Portuguese and Arab merchants trading here between the 16th and 18th centuries, today you’ll find an exotic blend of different cultures and amazingly preserved architecture. We’ll be soaking in the relaxed vibes of this riverside town on a walking tour through the car-free streets, stopping first at the Chua Ong Pagoda where you’ll find locals worshipping and offering incense. From here we’ll temple-hop over to the Jinshang Temple, stop by the the 200 year old Tan Ky House and stroll across the picture-perfect 17th century bridge built by Japanese craftsmen. After firing up your Fitbit step count, we’ll then saddle up on bikes and cycle through the beautiful countryside surrounding Hoi An. Take in the rolling rural views as you cruise past endless palm trees and remote fishing villages, before catching a short boat ride across the Thu Bon river to Cam Kim island. From here we’ll cycle along the quiet roads and rice paddies, enjoying this peaceful insight into local rural life. We’ll then head back to the hotel for cold drinks and a welcome dip in the pool, this is the life.More +
Day 5: COOKING CLASSES & SECRET RECIPES
Today is yours doing whatever you like in Hoi An, be it relaxing by the pool, cycling to the beach or making the most of the expert tailors in town. This evening, roll up your sleeves for a local cooking class where you can feast upon your homemade creations and top secret family recipes.
Today you can do whatever you please here in Hoi An, making the most of this culture-packed town and the awesome surrounding scenery. You may want to simply chill by the pool with your nose in a good book, or head into town to hunt down some handcrafted souvenirs at the bustling markets. Hoi An is also home to some of the best tailors in the world, so you can take your pick from the amazing fabrics here and get new outfits handmade whilst you’re out exploring. The laidback vibes here and total lack of cars makes it a pleasure to walk around and discover new things, so head out and see what gems you uncover. Or after getting the lie of the land yesterday, you can hire bikes and cycle to the golden sands of the nearby beach. Then, after a day of doing as you please, dinner is also over to you with a cooking class at Hai Café. Roll up your sleeves and get ready to turn fresh ingredients into three courses of Hoi An specialties, with your expert chef giving you the inside scoop on how to prepare it the local way. After cooking up a storm, you can then enjoy the fruits of your labour for dinner with two extra courses specially made for you from a local family’s secret recipes. Try your best at discerning those secret ingredients and tuck in.More +
Day 6: Free-wheelin’ in Ho Chi Minh
Fly south to Ho Chi Minh and take a Vespa safari around this intoxicating city, seeing headline sights from the backseat of your vintage vehicle
Trade the genteel charm of Hoi An for the its louder, more precocious sister today as we take a short flight south today to Ho Chi Minh. Still widely known as Saigon, Vietnam’s largest city crackles with a palpable sense of energy, combing old-school soul with rapid globalisation. After checking into our hotel, we’ll dive headfirst into the beating soul of the place with a thrilling Vespa safari. Jump aboard the backseat of a fleet of retro bikes and make like a Saigoneer as you zip through the alleyways, soaking in the cityscape from a unique vantage point. Sweet wheels at the ready, pootle your way between a mass of tooting horns to discover elegant, tree-lined avenues and backstreets packed with neon-lit storefronts. This is your chance to see some of Ho Chi Minh’s most lauded sights – Bình Tây Market, the Reunification Palace and the majestic Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica – as you dig beneath the surface of the city. From towering skyscrapers to the lazy Saigon River and bicycle vendors loaded down with peach blossom, there’s so much to see here and we’ll make a series of food stops, too. Cool off after with a dip in the hotel’s rooftop pool.More +
Day 7: Cocktails, beer and city cheer
Grab a closer understanding of Vietnam’s war legacy with a visit to the Cu Chi Tunnels. Head back to the city for a night out on the town, with rooftop cocktails, a farewell dinner and craft ale
No trip to Vietnam would be complete without a nod to its war legacy, so today we’ll be rolling back time with a visit to the extraordinary Cu Chi Tunnels. We’ll drive north for two hours to reach the one-time stronghold of the Viet Cong, the military arm of the country’s underground communist insurgency. Head underground into a narrow labyrinth of tunnels for a fascinating insight into how guerilla soldiers lived and operated during the one of the foremost conflicts of modern times. Back in the Ho Chi Minh we’ll change tempo with a twilight visit to one of the city’s hottest rooftop bars on our finale night in Vietnam. See the skyline come alive in an ocean of lights over sunset cocktails before we head to a very unique local restaurant for our farewell meal of delicious Vietnamese grub paired with craft beer. Seal the deal on a brilliant night out with one last stop at a hip craft ale hangout; a chance to further relish Vietnam’s booming indie beer scene. Flashpackers, this is your last evening – put your (metaphorical) dancing shoes on for all that this tantalising city has to offer. As the Vietnamese would say; Một, hai, ba, vô! (1,2,3 cheers), it’s time to party.More +
Day 8: TẠM BIỆT VIETNAM, OR ONWARDS TO PHU QUOC?
Bid your farewells and arrange your transfer to the airport, marvelling at all the memories you’ve made during the past 8 days of Vietnamese adventure.
After a week-long whirlwind of Vietnamese adventure, the time has come to head back to reality. Make the most of your last day in this energetic city, stocking up on souvenirs to take home and relaxing by the pool, before arranging your transfer to the airport. As you soar into the skies, think back on all the cool memories you’re returning with. Together with your fellow Flashpackers, you have eaten your way through the flavour-packed streets of Hanoi, set sail on Halong Bay and kayaked through its limestone caves. You’ve sung karaoke aboard a junk boat, explored the caves of Thien Canh Son Cave and mooched through the charming streets of Hoi An. You’ve cycled through rice paddies, learned the art of Vietnamese cooking and gone underground in the Cu Chi Tunnels, all ending with a craft-beer fuelled night in Ho Chi Minh City. From the calm to the crazy, it’s been an adventure of dizzying contrasts- so head home with amazing new friendships made and stories to tell.
Or, for the jetsetters among you wanting some sandy down-time, why not book our optional beach extension to Phu Quoc? There will be a group transfer heading to the airport after breakfast for a short flight to one of Vietnam’s most picturesque islands. Here you can check into the Green Bay Resort & Spa for the next two nights, spending your time here relaxing on the palm-fringed beaches at your leisure. There are kayaks, snorkelling gear and paddle boards all at your disposal, as well as the surrounding tropical jungle just itching to be explored. After kicking back on the white sand, you can then catch a flight back to Ho Chi Minh City for your return flight home, vitamin D levels fully restored.More +
Fly into: Noi Bai International Airport (HAN)
Fly out of: Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN)
Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. These changes can happen with little notice due to availability, poor weather, seasonal changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. From time to time we may also make changes to your itinerary to try out new ideas and keep things fresh.
We take safety very seriously on Flash Pack adventures, click here to learn more.
More adventure trips
- Unwind and detox with a two-day boat trip down the Mekong River in Laos
- Discover Bangkok’s hidden foodie hot spots, with a back-street culinary tour
- Tackle white water rapids on the Mae Taeng River, and trek and cycle through the jungle landscape
- Wallow in the unique turquoise pools of the Kuang Si waterfall
- Stay in a series of beautiful boutique hotels and a unique jungle eco-lodge
- Play petanque and savour a Laotian BBQ in the UNESCO town of Luang Prabang
- Experience the best of hidden Hong Kong in an action-packed minibreak
- Upscale your business trip, break up a long flight or extend another adventure in the region
- Savour local Cantonese cuisine in a private safari of hidden Hong Kong
- Hike the iconic Dragon’s Back trail, with rolling green hills and sea views
- Take a boozy cruise around Hong Kong harbour and watch the Symphony of Lights
- Meet like-minded travellers of a similar age and life stage to you
- Spend two nights glamping on a secret beach, with a private chef
- Cruise around the hidden caves and lagoons of Bacuit Archipelago via private boat
- Quad bike over the legendary Chocolate Hills
- Paddle board down Loboc river, amid a vast terrain of jungle wilderness
- Stay at a series of luxury boutique hotels, with infinity pools and idyllic settings
- Snorkel and sea-kayak your way around remote beaches in turquoise waters
- Join street food safaris in Kuala Lumpur and Penang and conjure up local dishes in a Malacca cooking class
- Boat around Belum Rainforest in search of elephants, tigers and the world's largest flower
- Trek through the jungle by night, amid a cacophony of wildlife, and bask in a waterfall picnic
- Embrace island life on an idyllic retreat in Langkawi, with powdery white sands and turquoise seas
- Cycle through rural Malay villages and have afternoon tea at a plantation in the Cameron Highlands
- Stay at a series of boutique hotels, with swimming pools, spas and contemporary design detail
- Hike to a sanctuary for rescued elephants and help bathe these gentle giants
- Cruise around the gilded temples and pagodas of Bagan by bike
- Discover the secrets of Inle Lake on a traditional long-tail boat adventure
- Feast on a jungle picnic and learn crafts with the Kayan tribeswomen
- Sail down the Ayeyarwady River at sunset and cycle to a legendary snake temple
- Go truly off the beaten path to remote parts of Myanmar only just opened to tourists